21/04/2011

Classic Thoughts

Just a couple of weeks until the Flat really kicks into gear with the first two Classics of the season. Unfortunately Wootton Bassett is now a non-runner but to be honest I was impressed with Frankel in the Greenham last Saturday and I doubt I'd have been collecting in any event.

In the 1000 no realistic challengers to Moonlight Cloud emerged from the Nell Gwyn or Fred Darling Trials and her price has remained decent so I have stepped in again. I'd make her a 7/2 shot now if I made a book on the race.

Going back to Frankel, he is at the front of the Derby market as well as the 2000 and here he is very much one to take on. Although he's by Galileo he doesn't look like a middle distance horse and even if he somehow manages to stay I don't think his big muscular physique will be at home on the gradients and cambers of Epsom. The horse I like for the Derby is Seville, an animal whose pedigree suggests he won't come into his own until tried over 12f. That being the case his form as a 2yo (second in the RP Trophy on good ground) is very encouraging. That form entitles him to be pushing for favouritism in my opinion and yet we have your typical over-hyped Stoute and Cecil animals - namely World Domination and Carlton House - ahead of him in the betting. The latter is owned by the Queen, enough for at least a three point reduction in his odds in a Royal Wedding year. Anyway, what tempers enthusiasm slightly is the fact that I've done my stones on Aiden O'Brien horses in the race the last two years. Fame and Glory was a very large bet that went south due to the magnificence of Sea the Stars and St Nicholas Abbey last year didn't even make the race. I lost almost £400 combined on those two horses so I'm keeping my stake low until Seville has run and been confirmed a runner.

2000 Guineas:
Wootton Bassett £15w (NR)


1000 Guineas:
Moonlight Cloud £60w @ 10/1

Derby:
Seville £20w @ 10/1

No comments:

Post a Comment