12/09/2013

St Leger/Arc Trials/A-Post

I can't say I'm a massive fan of our oldest Classic and I don't fancy anything too strongly in the this year's renewal - I find with the trip being an unknown for a lot of contenders there is a lot of guesswork involved in picking one. The one who does standout to me in terms of price is Secret Number who is trading at 20/1 in a place. He was only beaten half a length by Foundry in the Voltigeur and the price differential between those two (Foundry is around 6/1) is excessive. With that being the Ballydoyle colt's first outing of the season I suppose the rationale is that he has more scope than my selection and that is true to a certain extent but then again having your second run of the campaign at Town Moor in a lung bursting race like the Leger is far from ideal in my opinion. This year's race doesn't look choc full of quality and the animals involved who represent the Derby form don't really appeal and neither does the horse who heads the market. They're all just a bit skinny in such an open renewal. Talent should outrun her price and if Secret Number was shorter I might have plumped for her at 12s. My selection isn't bred to particularly thrive over longer distances but he races like he will appreciate the Leger trip and having Alleged as his Damsire can't hurt.

The main action of the weekend is over at Longchamp on Sunday with the Arc trials and the Prix du Moulin. My main two bets for the Arc now that Sky Hunter has been transferred to Godolphin are Flintshire who runs in the Prix Niel and Orfevre who takes in the Prix Foy. Fingers crossed they enhance their claims for the big one. I have had a bet in the Moulin where Magician return to action after a poor run at Royal Ascot where he ran despite injuring himself at home in the days leading up to the St James's Palace Stakes. Before that unfortunate episode this colt looked full of promise and I am happy to take some 4/1 about him for this Group 1 event. Likely favourite Olympic Glory is respected but I have a feeling his run in the Marois wasn't as good as it seemed at the time and I do believe that Magician is simply a better racehorse. I hope to top up on the day.

St Leger:
Secret Number £20ew @ 20/1 (lost)

Prix Du Moulin:
Magician  (NR) £30

(+132.50)

--------------
Cambridgeshire:
Bronze Angel £30w @ 19/1

Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe:
Flintshire £15w @ 20/1
Orfevre £20w @ 76/10
Bravodino £5w @ 76/1
Non Runners - £55 lost

Champion Stakes:
Intello £19w @ 78/10


----
King George:
Al Ferof £20w @ 16/1
Cue Card £15w @ 10/1

Champion Hurdle:
Jezki £13w @ 20/1
My Tent or Yours £20w @ 95/10

Jewson:
Chatterbox £10w @ 25/1 (NRFB)

World Hurdle:
Monksland £5w @ 28/1



No comments:

Post a Comment