07/09/2013

Haydock and Leopardstown - 7th Sept

A couple of Group 1's on either side of the Irish Sea today and both have contenders towards the head of the betting market that I want to take on.

At my local track I'm against both Lethal Force and Garswood at the prices. The former is the best horse in the Sprint Cup but his high class wins this season have been on fast summer ground and he won't get that today. Garswood hasn't run over this trip as a 3yo and his win in the Lennox at Goodwood reads average at best for the level. He's simply too short. I've sided with the most consistant Gordon Lord Byron who was second in the race last year on faster ground than he encounters today. He doesn't need cut in the ground but he does seem to find one or two with more speed at the end of his races at the top grade on good ground or faster and so good to soft over this stiff 6f is ideal. My only concern is that sprint Group contests are more open to shock results than events over a mile or further, something we saw in the Nunthorpe a fortnight ago. For this reason part of my bet is each way and part with the free bet concession if your horse finishes second. With Ladbrokes joining Hills in offering this via the RP App it's something I'll be taking advantage of more over the coming months.

In Ireland more rain is forecast today and that leaves Declaration of War and The Fugue seemingly at the mercy of Al Kazeem who in theory should return to form after "looking after himself" at York. I'm not convinced the ground is 100% the only reason he ran below his best at the Knavesmire and at the prices none of the front three appeal at all. I have a sneaky that Kingsbarns might actually be up to winning this. For me both Al Kazeen and Declaration of War have been a touch overrated throughout the season and are vulnerable to some new blood. It's a big ask for last year's best 2yo but I'm willing to take it a risk for smallish money.

Sprint Cup:
Gordon Lord Byron £20ew @ 9/2 and £25w @ 9/2 (won)

Champion Stakes:
Kingsbarns £20w @ 7/1 (lost)
Kingsbarns/Orfevre (Arc) £15dbl @ 7/1 and 7/1

(+202.5)








No comments:

Post a Comment