16/03/2016

Cheltenham Festival - Day 2

    I thoroughly enjoyed the opening day of the Festival yesterday and feel chilled and happy this morning (despite a dental appointment at noon for an tooth extraction.)

    This is my quietest day and have no really strong bets if I'm honest. In the opener one has to take advantage of SkyBet's money back as a free bet concession and Yanworth looks bombproof to me, in fact 6/4 is a touch of value - I think it's better than 50/50 that he wins.

    The Queen Mother Champion Chase looks more open than the better suggests. Un De Sceaux looks the likeliest winner but if anything the ground is faster now than it was in his Arkle last season and that makes him vulnerable and one to take on at his price. I haven't done that with Sire De Grugy of course having backed him in the without market but my feelings here is that this horse has had a decent season and his form ties with Sprinter Sacre this season suggests the price diff' between the two is excessive. Felix Yonger has been a favourite of mine for years buthe's always been under the radar for the Mullins charge...he was 16/1 when second to Simonsig in the Neptune and ran in the wrong race as a novice chaser. I've always felt two miles on decent ground were his optimum conditions and he didn't stay when fourth in Taquin DeSeuil's Jewson. I took 33s NRNB back in the late Autumn, just as I did twelve months back when Willie didn't bring him over (a mistake as Champagne Fever was bitten by Un Atout on the way over.) There were rumours he was headed to the Ryanair at the weekend but with Vautour going for that race tomorrow (when I'll post my thoughts on that issue) he finally gets his chance in the Champion Chase. He has strong place claims and even at 16s now makes far more appeal than the likes of Special Tiara (who doesn't act on the track) and Dodging Bullets (who has no worthwhile form this season.)

    My other bet is an obvious one for me. My decision to follow the Nick Williams stable back in 2008 or 09 has been the best one I've ever made over the jumps but his record at the Festival isn't a good one. I think this is because he sources his young horses from France and the good one mostly seem to like flat tracks and soft going. Agrapart and Tea for Two have had fine fine seasons but neither ever came into my mind for the Festival but Coo Star Sivola has form at the track and on decent ground so is worth a go a 20s plus with five places in a typically competitive Fred Winter.


Neptune:
Shantou Village NR £10
Yanworth £25w @ 6/4 mbs (2nd)

RSA:
Native River NR £5

Champion Chase:
Felix Yonger £20ew @ 33/1 (pu)
Sire De Grugy £20ew @ 15/2 (w/o Un De Sceaux) (lost)


Fred Winter:
Coo Star Sivola £5w @ 30/1 and £10ew @ 20/1 (5pl) (3rd)

(+558.01)

No comments:

Post a Comment