16/03/2010

Cheltenham Festival - Day 1








At last we're here. I have a number of bets today most of which were placed awhile ago.

In the Arkle I first backed Sizing Europe for the race in September at 22/1 and I have been topping up on occasion ever since, the last bet being last night. He's the best jumper of fences in the field and still represents value at around 11/2. The favourite Captain Cee Bee is around 3s and that is a terrible price. He may have beaten my selection last time out when he was going


better but tipped up at the last if he'd stayed on his feet - but that is the question with that horse - he hits fences, and for me he either won't get round or will clout a few that will knock the wind out of him. I also think SE wasn't at his best last time out and is a horse that goes well fresh. The main danger is Somersby who did look terrific when he won his Novice Chase at Sandown. He warrants a cover bet so i've decided to stick him in a double with Dunguib, who looks rock solid in the opener

In the big handicap i'm with Casey Jones a classy irish chaser who ran ok in the RSA last year. He should run well.

The Champion Hurdle is a very open contest and the only angle I can and have gone with here is that the form of the 2009 renewal (the first three from that race all line-up today) has proven pretty worthless. So I cannot have Punjabi, Binocular or Celestial Halo. I backed Go Native a few months ago simply because he's won a couple of important trials and triumphed here in the Supreme last year. I think he's rock solid. My other bet is Zaynar. I was premature backing him awhile back at 7s as he is now 10s but I have topped up. Naturally the distance is a worry and i'm not too confident but his current drift is down to him working poorly last week. The same thing happened last year when he drifted for the Triumph but he still won that race. I can certainly see him reaching the frame.

Day 1 Bets:

ARKLE
Sizing Europe £40win @ 79/10
Dunguib (Supreme) and Somersby £20win double @ Betfair SP

WH Trophy
Casey Jones £10win @ 22/1 £15pl @ 5/1

Champion Hurdle
Hurricane Fly - Non-Runner
Go Native £25win @ 52/10
Zaynar £25win @ 88/10 £10pl @ 5/







No comments:

Post a Comment