22/02/2011

Cheltenham Thoughts 22/2

We had some interesting Cheltenham pointers at the weekend, not least at Ascot in the Betfair Chase and in Ireland where Dunguib made his belated seasonal reappearance. The Ryanair Chase on the Thursday of the big meeting is a race I've been waiting to get stuck into as the front few in the market don't appeal at all. Poquelin and Tranquil Sea were both fancied last year and failed and I want to be against them at their current, rather skinny prices. Riverside Theatre won the Betfair Chase very nicely and is a bet for the Ryanair if he runs. He may however be supplemented for the Gold Cup so it's best to leave it at the moment. The horse that followed him home on Saturday, Gauvain, has been confirmed for the race which is great news as i took a chance by placing bets at 36 and 40 immediately after he crossed the line.
Dunguib made a pleasing return to the track and I think he has a cracking chance at placing and is no forlorn hope for first place. I'll be having a place bet to supplement the 21/1 I have in the win market nearer the meeting.
Finally, I have been mulling over a bet on Long Run for the Gold Cup. He's a horse I remember saying I wanted to be on the right side of after his Feltham win last season and having backed him in the RSA, Paddy Power and the King George it would be a bit of a blow if I left him unbacked for the Gold Cup and he went and won. His jumping has improved and there are excuses for his average runs at Cheltenham. I will monitor his price but with Somersby, Mad Max and Punchestowns all virtually guaranteed to be non-runners having been backed I have decided to lay back my bet on Pandorama otherwise I would have too many horses in the book for the race. I have gone off Pandorama since Kempes won the Irish Hennessy. That animal beat the same horses almost as impressively and so I doubt the value of the Irish form now. 


Arkle
Mikael D'Haguenet £5w  @ 17/1
Finian's Rainbow £40w @ 47/10

Champion Hurdle
Dunguib £20w @ 21/1
Hurricane Fly £50w @ 6/1

Champion Chase
Master Minded £75w @ 4/1

RSA Chase
Mikael D'Haguenet £45w @ 11/1

Coral Cup
For Non Stop £35w/£20pl @ 14/1

Ryanair Chase
Gauvain £10w @ 37/1
Riverside Theatre £20w @ 65/10

World Hurdle
Zaynar £5w @ 10/1
Grand Crus £20w @ 3/1

Gold Cup
Punchestowns £10w @ 24/1
Denman £50w @ 82/10
Long Run £20w @ 66/10

£20 lost on NR's

No comments:

Post a Comment