26/10/2012

Aintree - 27th October

Tomorrow's Old Roan Chase at Aintree looks a decent renewal with a couple of up and coming animals taking on some old stagers. For Non Stop is a horse I have backed quite a few times over hurdles and fences and I think he's more than fairly priced at 6/1 for this contest. He had a good novice season which included a Grade 1 in an admittedly poor renewal of the Scilly Isles Chase at Newbury. He was a bit below par at the Festival but in the main he jumped well in 2011/12 and looks a decent stayer in the making. Off 151 tomorrow and in the Paddy Power in mid November I think he's fairly enough handicapped to take advantage of this mark.

Of his opponents tomorrow Wishfull Thinking is giving plenty of weight away, Nacarat is surely too old to score in decent company at this sort of trip (two and a half miles), and Gauvain only seems to win really uncompetitive races. I do respect Noble Prince however. His form last year was a bit in and out and indeed his runs behind Big Zeb in Ireland don't read as good now as they did at the time. But if he can recapture some of his Novice form he'll be a big danger to my selection. I don't know what to make of Pacha Du Polder. His form is nowhere near strong enough to warrant favouritism and he owes his position in the market to being trained by Paul Nicholls. His cramped odds kind of make the race and I'm hopeful of a good run from my selection. My only worry is that Nick might be running him in this just to get him in proper shape for his bigger test on the 17th November. If he wins either of these contests I'll be happy.

Old Roan Chase:
For Non Stop £50w @ 6/1 (won)

No comments:

Post a Comment