08/10/2012

Arc Aftermath / Ante-Post

I've been punting now for over twenty years and yesterday's Arc was the most heartbreaking loss in those two decades. When Orfevre went clear it looked a done deal and I was on my feet screaming at the jockey to keep him going but alas he was caught near the line. He was the best horse in the race and his turn of foot reminded me of Peintre Celebre's in the same race but the deep ground and the wide draw did for him really.
I hope he comes back over for the race next year.

Soumillon said post-race that Orfevre is the best horse he has ridden, a bit heat of the moment considering he won the Arc on Dalakhani and Zarkava. You can see his point though in a way. He has also ridden Cirrus Des Aigles who was most impressive winning the Prix Dollar on Saturday after an absence from the racecourse through injury. He won the Champion Stakes at an amazing 12/1 last year when he was my biggest winner by far of that flat season but all the talk before the weekend has been about Frankel and the fact that the race will be his swansong. Cirrus was again being ignored and before he won the Prix Dollar I took some 18 and 16 on Betfair about him for the Ascot contest. Obviously Frankel will be a massive nut to crack and I am to a large extent hoping for soft ground the gelding. I think he's a special horse under those conditions and Ascot with it's short straight isn't Frankel's ideal venue.

Champion Stakes:
Cirrus Des Aigles £10w @ 16/1

----------------------
Arkle:
Trifolium £10w @ 27/1

Champion Hurdle:
Spirit Son £35w @ 13/1

RSA Chase:
Fingal Bay £40w @ 12/1

Gold Cup:
Flemenstar £40w @ 12/1



-----------------------
1000 Guineas:
Newfangled £15w @ 16/1  

No comments:

Post a Comment