08/04/2013

Ante-Post Update

I was gonna make this entry a Jumps season summing up because I rarely get involved at Punchestown or have a bet in the Whitbread but Ladbrokes released prices for the Gold Cup at the aforementioned track today and Captain Chris is a big looking 10/1 for the race. His form with Cue Card and his cracking run in the King George suggest he's up to going close in this and his run in the Gold Cup can safely be ignored. He jumped right throughout at Cheltenham and just ran out of gas towards the end of the race. Aside from his Arkle win when stamina was never an issue his best runs have all come on right handed tracks and I think he actually has claims of reversing Kempton form with Long Run (who is 5/2 for this) given the likely better ground. Sir Des Champs heads the market and is massively respected and his presence makes my wager an each way one. First Lieutenant is also entered but there must be doubts about him running given his hard races at both Cheltenham and Aintree.

Elsewhere my 1000 Guineas fancy What a Name ran well enough in the Prix Imprudence last Thursday at Maisons-Laffite and I have topped up. I would think the French haven't had quite as cold a spring as we have and this coupled with her pipe opener have bolstered confidence. I expect her to be more ready for the Guineas on 5th May than her Newmarket rivals.

Punchestown Gold Cup:
Captain Chris £20ew @ 10/1


2000 Guineas:
Cristoforo Colombo £25w @ 21/1

1000 Guineas
Newfangled (NR) £15
What a Name £30w @ 117/10

--
King George:
Al Ferof £10w @ 16/1

Champion Hurdle:
Jezki £13w @ 20/1
My Tent or Yours £15w @ 10/1

No comments:

Post a Comment