07/02/2014

Newbury - 8th Feb

My cunning plan with Menorah in the Denman Chase didn't work as he ended up being one of the horses taken out, despite his having form on deep ground. Admittedly he ran like a bit of a non stayer in the race last season but Silviniaco Conti put the sort of pace into that renewal that is not present this time around.

I'm not a big fan of handicap hurdles in general, but the big race of the day is the sort of event that bookmakers fight for business in and a few layers are paying five places. In a 22 runner race that is concession gold and after an hour or two looking at the race I've decided to back the Alan King trained Vendor at 11/1. He won at the track in November in a race where he was anchored at the back until they hit the straight. In a relatvely slowly run contest that was the last place he should have been but he cut through the field like a knife through butter and won pretty nicely. He did go up 8lbs for that win but the narrative of the race suggests he is still on a winning mark. Yes, this is a tougher race, but if he runs to form I have the same philosophy in this renewal that I had last year when I backed My Tent or Yours each way with the thought that five horses were not going to finish ahead of him. That's not as certain this year but then again I'm getting better odds. Vendor goes on the ground and has won on this Racecourse.

I may also back Module in the Game Spirit as I think Dodging Bullets is a slightly dodgy favourite in his first foray into open company. But I want a bit bigger than the 9/4 currently available and with the usual money for a Nicholls shortie bound to arrive in the morning I might score some 5/2.

Denman Chase:
Menorah £15ew @ 10/1 (NR)

Betfair Hurdle:
Vendor £20ew @ 11/1 (lost)

(-428.75)

No comments:

Post a Comment