19/12/2015

Christmas Racing

    I gave myself a self fist bump today as I managed to avoid betting Houblon Des Obeaux in the big handicap chase at Ascot today. He was most disappointing when I was on in the Hennessy and had been dropped 6lbs by the assessor since that run - so with a 5lb claimer on today he was effectively 11lbs lower in the handicap. My resolve to avoid these type races remained strong though so I feel I won money today even though I had no bet.

    The racing over Christmas is mouth watering this season with the King George narrowly being the highlight. I'm not overly confident with my position on Silviniaco Conti given the standard of some of the opposition and the poorish form of the stable, but I have a big price about him and have covered on Don Cossack who looks far and away the biggest danger. I don't necessarily think this horse is the best chaser on the planet, but his form away from Cheltenham reads very well even if some of the events he won were a bit soft and he just appeals more than Cue Card and Vautour who both are better horses going left handed.

    I said the King George was narrowly the highlight of the holiday period action and it's run close by the Racing Post Novice Chase at Leopardstown on the same day. Douvan, Sizing John, Kitten Rock and Ttebob are all set to line-up and if they all make it we are in for a spectacular race. The former is naturally the market leader but 4/7 is incredibly short and I have to take him on. Yes he jumped perfectly well on his chase debut but Ttebob will go a fearsome pace here putting all his rivals jumping under maximum pressure and so I would rather have that horse and Sizing John (both with more experience over the larger obstacles) in my camp at decent odds than an odds-on shot running for connections who have had shorties turned over twice in this race the last two years. I've watched a lot of novices this season and the three that stand out from a jumping standpoint are No More Heroes, Vaniteux and Ttebob. Vaniteux is out at Christmas as well but is odds-on, Ttebob is 7s. Nice.


King George:
Silviniaco Conti £25w @ 114/10
Don Cossack £20w @ 5/2

Racing Post Novice Chase:
Ttebbob £10ew @ 7/1
Sizing John £10w @ 68/10

No comments:

Post a Comment