26/12/2015

Kempton & Leopardstown - 26th Dec

    Today's racing is the highlight of my and I suspect a lot of other people's Christmas. The King George has attracted a monster field, it's the best renewal I can remember. Looking at the declared lineup I kind of feel the race has been analysed to death, there isn't a whole lot of value in the prices now, and I'm happy enough with double figures about the two time defending champ. Hand on heart I don't really think Silviniaco Conti will win but he's slightly overpriced and I do think we'll see a completely different performance today compared to his rather tired effort at Haydock. Don Cossack is a worthy favourite and worth a cover bet.
    As a follower of his stable it's no surprise I'm in Tea for Two's camp in the Feltham. He jumped and travelled superbly at Exeter earlier this month and although there is a smidgeon of doubt about the three miles today I think this has been somewhat overplayed. Yes, he didn't really stay when tried over the trip in the Fixed Brush race at Haydock but that was a big field competitive handicap run at a decent pace and Lizzie had him up top throughout. He faces just the six rivals today and they won't go as fast. Native River is respected and he did look a chaser of promise last time out at Newbury but Un Temps Pour Tout was ridden without much restraint that day and set the race up for him. I also think Kempton will suit the selection more as well.
    Over in Ireland I have bets in the Juvenile Hurdle and the Grade 1 Novice Chase. In the former we have a fascinating market that has turned upside down since it was opened earlier in the week. Initially the Mullins trained Footpad was around 6/4 with Rashaan put in at 5/2 generally and 11/4 in a place. I took that price as he looks easily the form horse in the race based on his impressive run at Fairyhouse and really he wasn't introduced as a shortie simply because his connections aren't that fashionable. Today though I arrive home from Christmas day spent with the family to discover that Footpad has drifted to 3s and a Gordon Elliot creature having his first run for the stable has been hyped into 7/2 with the likely winner still at 5/2. I like this as a Willie Mullins drifter is always a sign they won't win and Rashaan may be the bet of day.
    Not surprisingly there hasn't been a drift on Douvan later on in the card and although he'll likely be fearsome tough to get beat I like my position in the race having taken 7/1 about Ttebbob and just under that price about Sizing John. The former is a s p e c t a c u l a r jumper of a fence who will be hard to peg back, especially on heavy ground. However I've been bummed on my initial bet. When I placed it the each way terms were 1/5 first three. With only four declared though the layer I placed it with are only paying me two places now, even though my bet was ante post. Now, I'm not that bothered as I'm not an each way punter much of the time, but changing your each way terms in this way is out of order. Yes, layers are unfortunate the way this race has played out with regard to the place terms. If they were offering three places punters like me would be in a terrific position - but equally I'm sure there are players out there who took prices about Kitten Rock and others who have lost their money now, and rightfully so. Bookies need to take the rough with the smooth and this invidious changing of terms that should be set in stone once an ante post position has been taken and confirmed is not a good sign for the future. Anyway, back to the race. Ttebbob is 4s now and I have topped up at that and also put in an IR lay bet at 5/2 as he's sure to trade shorter at some point given his running style. I don't fancy Sizing John quite as much given the ground but 6/1 is fair and I've topped up at that price.
    To anyone reading this good luck with your bets today and enjoy the rest of the holiday period.

Knight Frank Juvenile Hurdle:
Rashaan £40w @ 265/100 (lost)

Kauto Star Novices' Chase:
Tea for Two £40 @ 5/2 (won)

Racing Post Novice Chase:
Ttebbob £10ew @ 7/1, £40w @ 4/1 (fell)
Sizing John £25w @ 632/100 (2nd)

King George VI Chase:
Silviniaco Conti £25w @ 114/10 (pu)
Don Cossack £20w @ 5/2 (fell)

(+133.51)

No comments:

Post a Comment