07/02/2016

Cheltenham Thoughts

    EDIT: 10/2

    I don't know what's more painful, a last fence fall or your horse being caught on the line Orfevre styley. Whatever the answer, when you're in the midst of a losing streak a final fence fall by an 8/1 shot who looked home and hosed is not nice - I was numb for at least twenty minutes. However, I really try and think glass half full and a couple of my Cheltenham ante-post positions were strengthened yesterday and I'm very happy with my portfolio at present.

    At the start of the week I read rumours that Sizing John's target was up in the air and I confess I was surprised as I just assumed he'd be avoiding Douvan come March. My overriding thought on the JLT is that Killutagh Vic is the weakest fav of the week, his win last time out has been horrendously overrated because he recovered to win from a bad error at the last - and so at around 5/2 I was super keen to take him on. So with Sizing John now a possible doubt for the race I took some 12s about Bristol De Mai who impressed at Haydock late in January. Twister's horse was impressive yesterday at Sandown and he goes to Cheltenham with very solid claims. Even if De Bromhead does decide he wants to see Douvan's arse again I've taken some 10/1 (rick price) about SJ in the w/o fav Arkle market so it's all good.

    Elsewhere Peace and Co was poor in the Contender's Hurdle but I'd already mentally written off my Champion Hurdle bet but the Triumph Hurdle fav bombing out at Leopardstown was very nice news. Ivanovich Gorbatov was ridiculously impressive in December where his hurdling was Istabraq like and although I was happy with getting 25s about Giralfaro after that horse's win on that same day
the Irish horse looked next level to my eyes. He was poor yesterday however and the Triumph looks wide open. Gibralfaro goes to the Adonis at Kempton and if he wins I'll be topping up again. The Friday of the Festival looks my biggest day position wise and I cannot wait - so excited right now.




Supreme Novices'
Altior £20w @ 7/1

Arkle:
Sizing John £10ew @ 10/1 (w/o Douvan)

Champion Hurdle:
Peace and Co £25w @ 122/10
Nichols Canyon £10ew @ 13/2 NRNB

Neptune:
Shantou Village £10w @ 16/1

RSA:
Native River £5w @ 28/1

Champion Chase:
Felix Yonger £20ew @ 33/1 NRNB

JLT Novices' Chase:
Sizing John £25w @ 136/10
Bristol De Mai £15w @ 12/1

World Hurdle:
Whisper £15w @ 13/1
Windsor Park £20w @ 14/1 NRNB

Ryanair:
Apache Stronghold NR £18
Champagne West £5w @ 54/1
Valseur Lido £25w @ 13/1 NRNB
Vibrato Valtat £15w @ 16/1 NRNB

Brown Advisory Plate:
John's Spirit £5w @ 25/1

Triumph Hurdle:
Gibralfaro £10w @ 175/10

County Hurdle:
Desoto County £10w @ 16/1

Albert Bartlett:
Shantou Village £25w @ 116/10

Gold Cup:
Don Poli £30w @ 94/10 and £40w @ 13/2 NRNB
Vautour £10w @ 12/1 and £10w @ 8/1 NRNB
Holywell £5w @ 43/1

Any Race:
Shantou Village £10w @ 10/1



No comments:

Post a Comment