14/01/2011

Kempton - Jan 15th

Two months to the Festival and to whet our appetite we have a cracking card at Kempton. It features two Grade 1's held over from Boxing Day and some other interesting races in amongst nine contests.
The King George revolves, as ever, around Kauto Star and I already have positions in this race. Unfortunately Sizing Europe isn't coming over now so I'm left with an ante-post bet on Long Run. A bet I have since topped up. I'm hopeful rather than confident to be honest although I do have a sneaky feeling that Kauto may have had enough and is vulnerable. I still think Long Run is capable of a huge run if he can jump more efficiently and he remains the main challenger to the favourite.

James De Vassy runs in the hot looking Lanzarote Hurdle. This is a horse I seem to have backed a lot over the last couple of seasons and he must have a chance (if he can manage to put a poor run behind him at Haydock) and run up to the sort of form he showed at Cheltenham last season in the Coral Cup and also in the Greatwood.
At Haydock he was well up with the pace and seemed to get tired in the latter part of the race. They went a fair old clip that day and as it was his first run of the season I think we can forgive him. It's a hot looking race with plenty of unexposed types so it's a bit of a bet in the dark and for that reason I've backed him in the place market as well. After the Hennessy Daryl Jacob nominated the horse as his one to follow for the rest of the season. That's some commendation given the other horses he rides for Nick Williams.

Sizing Europe £20ew @ 16/1 (NR)
Long Run £50w @ 13/2 (won)

James De Vassy £40w @ 125/10 £20pl @ 5/2 (won)




(+1472.45)

1 comment: