31/01/2011

Cheltenham Thoughts 31/1

I have backed Grand Crus for the World Hurdle at 3s. He put in a stunning performance in the Cleeve Hurdle on Saturday and must rate a major threat to Big Bucks. He travels extremely well also so will probably go very short in-running on the day so I may be able to overbet him for the race and then lay some back at really short odds. A tactic I like to use on occasion. Another horse that travels like a dream is Hurricane Fly, an animal I was unfortunate enough to back last year in the Champion Hurdle when he didn't turn up. He's drifted a tad the last couple of days on Betfair and I've taken some 6/1 and 13/2. Pretty sure he'll show up but given he's missed two Festivals it's not a surprise to see his odds fluctuating. I don't oppose Binocular lightly but if you look at last year's renewal McCoy went for him as they entered the straight and I just feel that with the engine he has Hurricane Fly would still have been travelling nicely at that point. The placed horses have not advertised the form too brightly either.

In a couple of months we'll be well into the Festival and I for one can't wait. I'll be attending on the Thursday. I'm having the best Jumps season I've ever had but historically I do better outside of the Festival. It's so competitive that winner finding is harder than at other times. My portfolio at the moment:


Cheltenham Festival:

Arkle
Mikael D'Haguenet £5w  @ 17/1

Champion Hurdle
Dunguib £20w @ 21/1
Hurricane Fly £30w @ 62/10

Champion Chase
Master Minded £75w @ 4/1

RSA Chase
Mikael D'Haguenet £40w @ 10/1

World Hurdle
Zaynar £5w @ 10/1
Mikael D'Haguenet £5w @ 27/1
Grand Crus £20w @ 3/1

Gold Cup
Pandorama £10w @ 31/1
Punchestowns £10w @ 24/1
Denman £30w @ 85/10

£15 lost on NR's

The only real positives out of that list are the prices I have about Master Minded in the Queen Mother and Pandorama in the Gold Cup (even if the latter is only for a five spot). Over the next few weeks I'm hoping Dunguib puts in a positive performance in the Irish Champion on Sunday and that Mr Mullins gets another run into Mikael D'Haguenet. 

Somersby should be running shortly as well and he's a horse I like a lot. I'll be backing him if he runs in the Ryanair. Long Run and Diamond Harry are horses that have been big winners for me this season but I'll be against both of them in the Gold Cup based on their Cheltenham form and I wouldn't put anyone off a bet on Imperial Commander at 4/1. I'll probably back him on the day unless he's too short.

I have no real opinion on the novice hurdles or the Arkle and I'll be studying the handicaps as the build up continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment