18/03/2011

Cheltenham Festival - Friday

What a fantastic day out yesterday. I did my conkers on Grand Crus in the World Hurdle but was at the front when Ruby brought Big Bucks back and I was cheering like everyone else. That's what the Jumps game is all about. I suppose it helped that I'd had my third winner of the week when Noble Prince won the opener. The place was packed, I had a nice drink or two and there were plenty of nice women to look at. Good times.

Today is all about the Gold Cup of course and my selections are Denman and Long Run. I've topped up slightly on both since my last ante-post update. I'm against Imperial Commander who hasn't had the perfect preparation he had last year (he also doesn't have the vibe of a dual winner for me) and cannot see Kauto Star winning after three below par runs on the bounce. He's been a legend but has too many miles on the clock now. Denman is my favourite horse of all time and I'm hopeful rather than confident given that the course hasn't had the rain that was forecast yet. Long Run I've been a big supporter of for sometime and his King George victory was the highlight of the year until Hurricane Fly on Tuesday. I'm a tad worried abou his course form but he was over the top when tackling the RSA last year and his jumping seems to have improved markedly since his first run of the season here back in the Autumn. I see Kempes as the biggest danger to my selections and have put him in an each way double with a horse running earlier on the card.

Having said it's all about the one race I like the look of Soldatino in the County Hurdle, the second race on the card today. He won the Triumph last year of course and seems to be coming into form. He was fifth in the Tote Gold Trophy at Newbury where he was held up in a race where it suited those up with the pace. He loves the track and with some bookies paying five places in this race he's worth a bet.

County Hurdle:
Soldatino £10w @ 17/1 £15ew @ 16/1
and in a £5ew double with Kempes paid at SP. (lost)

Gold Cup:
Denman £60w @ 8/1 (lost)
Long Run £40w @ 58/10 (won)

£45 lost on various non-runners throughout the week (in addition to the two Ryanair selections yesterday)

(+1931.86)

No comments:

Post a Comment