20/03/2011

Cheltenham Reflections/ Ante-Post Update

I'm drained after such a high octane week. The highlight was the Gold Cup and the performances of the two old warriors who finished second and third. I admit I shed a tear when Denman was brought in after such honourable defeat. I'm torn on whether or not they should retire him or not. I'd hate to see him struggle as age catches up with him but on the other hand I would love to see him run in the flesh over fences (I was at Cheltenham in 2006 when he was second to Nicanor in a Novice Hurdle)

From a punting point of view four winners meant I was way up on the week and I have had a terrific Jumps season. I'm assured a tidy profit with only the Grand National meeting left on the season and speaking of the great race I took a position on The Midnight Club when the weights came out a few weeks back. My only other bet outstanding now is a small one on Wootton Bassett in the 2000 Guineas.


Grand National:
The Midnight Club £10ew @ 20/1

2000 Guineas:
Wootton Bassett £15w @ 16/1


3 comments:

  1. Hi! Nick.

    Pleased to see that things have gone so well for you over the jumps.

    I hope things carry on as well on the flat.

    Any early thoughts on anything?

    Do you take any particular approach to your flat betting?

    Colin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Colin,
    Thanks for the comment. I haven't many thoughts on the flat at the moment, they'll take time to develop as the season goes on. I'm against Frankel in the 2000 Guineas but think he could be a bet in the Derby.
    My approach during the flat will be to try and identify horses who win Handicaps with fast finishes that obscure their true superiority. Kind of like Forte dei Marmi in the Zetland Gold Cup and Ransom Note in the Britannia from 2010.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete