16/03/2011

Cheltenham Festival - Thursday

Having to post this on Wednesday evening as I am going to Cheltenham tomorrow for my first to the Festival since 2007. Another good day today that could have been excellent if For Non Stop hadn't fallen at the last but I'm well in profit for the week and Sizing Europe's win in the QM was so sweet, particulary as I'd backed him in the Arkle the previous year as well.

Noble Prince runs in the Jewson Novices Chase that opens the card. This is a new graded race over two and a half miles and it looks a tricky heat but my fancy has close form ties with Realt Dubh who ran a cracker in the Arkle on Tuesday. Noble Prince should appreciate the step up in trip and also the better ground given his flat pedigree. At the moment I have £20 on him at 6/1 and will put another £40 on at the track so I'm not sure what price I'll end up with yet.

I backed Grand Crus for the World Hurdle after his scintillating victory in the Cleeve Hurdle. I took 3s then and he's available at slightly longer than that on Betfair now (a price I have taken) because of ground concerns. I don't think the track is running that fast as their was plenty of kickback today and the fresh ground they run on tomorrow on the new course should have plenty of bounce in it. Basically Grand Crus put in the most impressive performance I've seen from any horse all season and I think he has the beating of reigning champ Big Bucks tomorrow.
Similar to Noble Prince I will be topping up my bet to £60 on the track. My fiver on Zaynar was the first ante-post bet I placed on this year's Festival back in April. He's made the race but I can't really fancy him to win. I can however see him sneaking a place as he has a fine record at the meeting so I've had a small place bet on him.

I have two non runners in the Ryanair and am not getting further involved in a very tricky looking contest.


Jewson Novice Chase:
Noble Prince £60w @ 9/2 (won)

Ryanair:
Riverside Theatre £20 (NR)
Tranquil Sea £45 (NR)


World Hurdle:
Grand Crus £60w @ 100/30 (lost)
Zaynar £5w @ 10/1 £15pl @ 4/1 (lost)




(+1863.46)









No comments:

Post a Comment