14/03/2011

Cheltenham Festival - Tuesday

At last the wait is over. I'm so psyched about this year's meeting and to open up I have positions on the first four races. I can't remember ever remember that happening before on any card. I've been betting ante-post on this for some months and have just been putting the finishing touches to my portfolio.

Anyway, to kick off I have Zaidpour in the Supreme Novices Hurdle. My theory with this Willie Mullins horse was that as a flat bred type he'd appreciate the better ground we get at Cheltenham but according to the trainer's son he actually want cut. Not sure about that really as he doesn't seem to hit the surface that hard when galloping. He's a sporting each way bet in a race where the favourite looks very solid.

In the Arkle I'm quite keen on Finian's Rainbow who ran well at the Festival last year, has the beating of the favourite on a line through a horse called Hells Bay and really is a bigger price than he ought to be because he wasn't impressive lst time out at Warwick. I have discussed that race in previous entries but suffice to say that the way he was ridden that day was not how they are going to go about things tomorrow.

Next up (and I really do wish they'd go Supreme/Arkle/Champion Hurdle like they did in the past, it was such a hella start to the week) is the Handicap Chase that William Hill used to sponsor. Oh Reve De Sivola what has happened to you? I think his connections and his fans will have started the season thinking we'd see this horse in the RSA but it isn't to be I'm afraid. He has been disappointing on a number of occasions but has a piece or two of decent chase form AT Cheltenham and I have to give the animal another chance (although I actually haven't backed him myself since his second in the Baring Bingham at last year's Event)
based on the fact that this three mile trip is what he's been crying out for and his lenient looking handicap mark. I took 16s a week or so ago and am happy with that.

Onto the Champion Hurdle. Well, I was satisfied with my bets in this race leading up to yesterday when the bombshell about Binocular's withdrawal was dropped. I really don't get how they could use a substance on  him that wasn't totally essential if said substance was on the banned list - no matter that the risk of a positive test was low due to the timeframe involved. Naturally this robs the race of a certain lustre, but it still looks a cracking renewal and I am now sitting pretty with almost 6/1 on Hurricane Fly and 21/1 on Dunguib. Obviously both these horses are a lot shorter in the market now the favourite isn't involved and I feel it would be wise to protect my position given the mileage I now have on this market. So I have backed Peddlers Cross at 9/2. I consider this animal to be a bigger danger than the new favourite, Menorah. Certain formlines suggests this horse still needs improvement to win and given his tie-in with Dunguib I just couldn't bring myself to back him at such a shorter price. Especially as I still think the latter is the horse to take out of last year's Supreme given the way the race was run. Hurricane Fly is my main bet for this of course and I consider him my NAP of the first day. He travels like a dream, jumps with fluency, will appreciate a sound surface and won't be undone by the famous Cheltenham hill given his form over further and on deep ground.


Supreme:
Zaidpour £20ew @ 9/1 (lost)

Arkle:
Finian's Rainbow £60w @ 47/10 (lost)

Spinal Research Handicap Chase:
Reve De Sivola £25ew @ 16/1 (3rd)

Champion Hurdle:
Hurricane Fly £60w @ 59/10 (won)
Dunguib £20w @ 21/1 (lost)
Peddlers Cross £40w @ 9/2 (lost)

I posted this on the eve of the Festival since which another bet has come to light. Maljimar runs in the Cross Country event and although I have kind of missed the price a bit I have a lot of history with this particular animal and his stable of course (backed him when he was chinned on the line by Wichita Lineman at the Festival in 09 and also had him in the National last year) so I really have to get involved. I reckon the veterans who usually line up in this are all past their best and Nick's horse was a really good third in a similar race in Dec 09 since which he has dropped down the handicap. I'm determined to be on when Nick has his first (of many) Festival winners

Cross Country:
Maljimar £60w @ 11/2 (lost)


(+1567.45)

No comments:

Post a Comment