20/08/2011

Sandown and York - 20th Aug.

I'm going through my roughest punting patch for a couple of years at the moment but you have to keep plugging on and so I've decided to have a go in the big handicap at York today. I originally backed Fox Hunt for this last month but laid the bet back after he ran in a Group race at Goodwood - the theory being that he might not line up today. His trainer, Mark Johnston, has long been a critic of the exalted position handicaps hold in the racing calender. It's interesting that he has decided to let Fox Hunt take his place in this given that the Lonsdale Cup, a Group 2 race over two miles, is on the same card. I suppose the £50K difference in prize money might have persuaded him. Anyway, he carries top weight which is far from ideal - but the sponsors are paying five places and he such a tough, consistent battler of a horse that he must have a chance of going close even with such a welter burden on his back.

Initially I'd only paid attention to York's card today but thanks to a poster on Talking Horses I've been reminded that Chain Lightning, a horse in my notebook from the early part of the season, is running at Sandown today. Now this horse is a course and distance winner who I backed in the Hunt Cup at Ascot. He's gone up six pounds since a good effort over an inadequate trip there and certainly has claims at his favourite track today - but I worry the handicapper may have hold of him now. This is where being on a losing streak really effects the way one punts. I've backed Fox Hunt in the Ebor, a horse who has been creeping up the handicap without winning - so why not back Hannon's horse as well? His run at Sandown after the Hunt Cup (where I wasn't on as he was very short in the market) was a fine effort, second, pulling away from the third horse and finishing behind an animal who kind of had first run on him. Encouraging. He isn't a fantastic price today but I have gone in. Ultimately the pain of a probable loss isn't in the same league as watching a horse in my notebook winning without me being on. Bad times.

Fox Hunt £25ew @ 14/1 (lost)

Chain Lightning £40w @ 9/2 (lost)


(-460.5)


No comments:

Post a Comment