26/01/2013

Cheltenham Trials Day and Leopardstown - 26th Jan

It's been so long since we've had a good day's racing in the UK and today we get spoiled with a fantastic card at Cheltenham featuring the usual trials for some of March's big races and also the Victor Chandler Chase that was lost last week at Ascot. With Sprinter Sacre in the line up that is a contest not worth getting involved in punting wise but two others are good betting heats.

I waxed lyrical about Coneygree earlier in the week and although the trip he faces today in the Classic Novices Hurdle is short of his optimum I think the price differential between himself and the top class The New One is excessive. The Twiston-Davies horse looks an amazing prospect but more as a chaser than a hurdler in my opinion and I think either today or in the Neptune in March he will find one too good for him just like Denman did in 2006. Coneygree is a fantastically enthusiastic front runner (a long distance Overturn if you will) and he will trade a lot shorter in running than he is at the moment. He is therefore a good back to (partial) lay proposition.

In the Cleeve Hurdle I'm firmly in the Reve de Sivola camp. It looks a bit of a two horse race and I'm far from convinced Oscar Whisky will stay and he shouldn't be favourite. I've backed the Nick Williams horse through the Racing Post app which means I get a free bet to my stake if he's second to to Oscar Whisky. The overnight rain will suit Reve de Sivola over this trip and he's a confident selection.

Over at Leopardstown Arvika Ligionnaire once again takes on Oscar's Well and I hope they both come out of the Irish Arkle well and on target for Cheltenham. In the 2.15 there I'm having a small bet on Mount Benbulben. He was behind Marito last time out at Naas over two miles but the longer trip they tackle today will suit my selection more and his jumping seems to have improved which is the key to this horse over fences as he has a monstrous engine.

Classic Novices Hurdle:
Coneygree £80w @ 29/10 and £30 lay IR @ 6/4 (lost)

Cleeve Hurdle:
Reve De Sivola £50w @ 5/2 (won)

Boylesports.Com Novice Chase:
Mount Benbulben £50w @ 5/2 (lost)

(+873.9)

No comments:

Post a Comment