20/01/2013

Festival:Novice Hurdlers


Coneygree


I thought for my next few pieces regarding Cheltenham I'd split them up into the different categories the races come under. The Novice Hurdlers look an exciting bunch this year and as ever there is very little form that ties in the British horses with the Irish raiders. Therefore you're looking for horses who look the part and who give the impression the unique tests the Festival bring will suit them. The Supreme over two miles on the opening day looks a good renewal at this stage but it's not a race I go to town on and I don't think I've ever backed the winner truth to tell. That said I'm kind of against two or three at the head of the market which gives me an angle to work on. Jezki is the favourite and looks a nice prospect but at 5/1 just looks too short in such a hot heat. The same comment applies equally to Un Atout who was impressive at Naas yesterday but beat nothing imo. The race at Cheltenham in the Autumn that saw Dodging Bullets beat River Maigue looked overrated to me at the time so I'm swerving those two also. That leaves me with My Tent or Yours who impressed with his attitude, hurdling and physique in his impressive win at Huntingdon recently. He looks the sort of animal who will really appreciate a proper ding dong battle on good ground and I took 12s after this latest win  for small money as he isn't a totally guaranteed runner with his trainer having so many options in the race.
In the Neptune on the second day of the meeting The New One is now a firm favourite after really impressing in his last race at Warwick. This Twiston-Davies horse is a strong looking chasing type with a big shoulder on him and I think he'll be vulnerable in a fast run race over the smaller obstacles. When I see horse like this at short odds for this race I'm always reminded of Denman who was beaten by Nicanor in the 2006 renewal. I backed Clondaw Kaempfer for this contest way back in October and although he's weakened in the market since then after not completing in the Challow at Newbury I remain confident he has a good chance in the race as he has yet to race on good ground, a surface that is sure to suit him given his pedigree and action. I got a bet off at Victor Chandler that gives me a free wager if he doesn't run in the race. Not as good as a non runner no bet but not far off. He looks sure to be 16/1 plus on the day if he gets there and I'll be plunging in each way.

Finally we have the Albert Bartlett over three miles on the final day of the meeting and in Coneygree we pretty much have my banker of the Festival. I've been so impressed with this horse when I've seen him run and the sky looks the limit for him. He's an exuberant jumper of a hurdle who sort of reminds me of a long distance Overturn and it's surely only his relatively unfashionable connections that have him still at 8/1 for this race rather than the 7/2 or 4/1 that he should be. He looks nailed on to me and I have been topping up since my last entry. Every race at the Festival takes a lot of winning but some are more competitive than others. I fancy Grandouet for the Champion Hurdle at similar odds to Coneygree but that contest is a lot harder so staking levels will be different.

I also have a few doubles in place that involve these horses.

Supreme Novices Hurdle:
My Tent or Yours £20w @ 11/1

Neptune Novices Hurdle:
Clondaw Kaempfer £25w @ 13/1 and £25w @ 20/1 (NRFB)

Albert Bartlett Novices Hurdle:
Coneygree £80w @ 9/1


Doubles:

My Tent or Yours (Sup) and Simonsig (Arkle) £10 @ 20/1 and evs

Oscar's Well (Jewson) and Coneygree (AB) £10 @ 10/1 and 8/1

Coneygree (AB) and What a Name (1000 Gns) £10 @ 12/1 and 14/1

Darlan (CH) and Coneygree (AB) £10 @ 4/1 and 8/1

Pure Science (Bumper) and Coneygree (AB) £10 @ 16/1 and 8/1











No comments:

Post a Comment