18/11/2011

Haydock and Ascot - Nov 19th

The Betfair Chase is the big race of the day and Long Run may have his hands full first time out taking on Diamond Harry and Time for Rupert. I'm siding with the former for this race as he goes well fresh and loves the track. I do think Long Run is worth taking on at a short price. I remain unconvinced about the Gold Cup form given that he beat two 11yo's and he got beat first time out last year in a handicap. Naturally as my Gold Cup selection I hope Rupert runs well and I wouldn't be unhappy if he won.

Elsewhere at Ascot even without Captain Chris the Amlin Chase at 2.10 is a cracking renewal with Master Minded taking on Medermit and Somersby. I've got a lot of time for the latter who ran well first time out and almost beat Paul Nicholls charge at this track last season. He's four pounds better off today and I think he has claims of overturning that form. Master Minded was well below par at Aintree on his first run of the season and although that wasn't anywhere near his true form I didn't think it was a good sign for his future. I saw him in the paddock that day and it's not as if it was obvious he badly needed the run. Medermit is a danger but I think he was flattered at Exeter when winning the Haldon Gold Cup and I'm not convinced he's top draw.

Diamond Harry £60w @ 7/1 (lost)
Long Run Laid @ 6/1 for £20 (won)

Somersby £60w @ 9/4 (lost)


(-490)

No comments:

Post a Comment