25/11/2011

Hennessy Gold Cup

The big race tomorrow doesn't look like it will take nearly as much winning as when the mighty Denman was taking part but it's an interesting race nonetheless. I have to say I'm hurting at the moment. After a sublime 2010/11 Jumps Season I'm off to one of the worst starts in my punting career and I could do with a decent winner just to get the blood flowing again. My selection for this race is Wayward Prince. I have backed him ante-post and have topped up today. He's a second season chaser who has a lot of scope in terms of likely improvement once he takes in a trip. In the RSA Chase at the Festival back in March he was being ridden some way out but stayed on really well to get third. That race was over three miles on good ground and although under foot condittions are likely to be similar tomorrow I think the extra distance will really see this animal come into his own. I've read a lot recently about how the novice chasers from last year aren't up to much and whilst I can see that as a viable point of view, Time for Rupert and Wishfull Thinking especially looking a bit disappointing, I think it's a bit too early to be writing them off as a bunch. In horses like Wayward Prince and Captain Chris we have chasers who will surely improve when their stamina is stretched. I still really like the latter for the King George despite the efforts of Kauto Star (what a hero that horse is) and Master Minded last week - and the former is off a nice racing weight tomorrow (10st8) and is surely a lively contender in an average looking renewal.

Wayward Prince £50w @ 10/1 (PU)


(-540)

No comments:

Post a Comment