25/04/2012

Punchestown - Day 2/5

My punting at the moment is a bit like Barcelona, I keep hitting the post. Realt Dubh was another good bet yesterday that went close but just not close enough.

The big race today is a fascinating contest particulary on heavy ground. My initial bet in the race is a non-runner but I still think there is an angle in the contest. Rubi Light is probably the best jumper of a fence out of soft ground that there is in training at the moment and he really has his conditions today. The problem of course could be one of stamina. Is this being overstated in the market? In my opinion it is because the advantage the horse has over his rivals on soft ground, that superior jumping ability that conserves energy that his rivals in a race do not enjoy isn't present when he races on good ground - hence his defeats in the Lexus and Ryanair chases. He has the best form in a race where his main rivals either haven't the best completion rates (Quel Esprit) or are totally unproven on deep ground (Captain Chris)
Of course if he fails today it will be because his stamina does run out on tiring ground so for that reason as well as the 3/1 taken I have a couple of In-Running lays in place at evens and shorter.


EDIT: 28/4
The bets I placed were voided once the race was postponed and then moved to today. Unfortunately Captain Chris doesn't run so Rubi Light is a tad shorter but he's still a worthwhile bet. Paddy Power are running a money back special on the race so if my selection finishes second to Quel Esprit I get my stake back.

Gold Cup:

Quito De La Roque £20w @ 9/1 (NR)

Rubi Light £50w @ 5/2 and £30w @ 9/4 (Money back special)  (lost)


(-580)

No comments:

Post a Comment