29/04/2012

Jumps Season - Post Script

Well, all told it was a disappointing Jumps season overall but I know where the mistakes were made largely and I did have a profitable Cheltenham Festival.

I had a fantastic 2010/11 and went into the winter with an inflated bank roll and I was full of it, probably thinking I couldn't lose over the whole season. Looking back I think it's obvious it was more cockiness than confidence and some of the bets I placed early doors were a bit cringeworthy. I staked over £100 on the Charlie Hall at Wetherby, a race I'd never had a bet on before, and went over the top in my support of the second season chasers before it was really established whether or not they were up to it. Indeed I backed the likes of Medermit, Wishfull Thinking, Captain Chris, Wayward Prince, Time for Rupert and Magnanimity time and time again and never got a return on them. Big lesson learned. But overall I feel positive really, I was over a Grand down before the Festival and got a lot of it back.

I had around 70 bets which is maybe a dozen or so too many, but I will be more circumspect next season and ultimately this is my first losing Jumps season in around five years.

It was an eventful season from a sporting point of view with Kauto Star's return, Big Buck's continuing dominance (although I think his connections should be bolder and try and take in shorter races) and the rise of Sprinter Sacre. I think the staying chasers are a weak bunch at the moment with Denman and Kauto Star now at or near retirement and over the next couple of years it will be fascinating to see which animals rise to prominance in that division. Down the line Boston Bob, Fingal Bay and Simonsig will all be Gold Cup contenders in my opinion and of course Sir Des Champs and Flemenstar will race in open company next season. Hopefully two or more of that group will prove able to sustain National Hunt Racing's current purple patch.

The flat really kicks into gear next weekend and I have nice positions in both the 1000 and 2000 Guineas. I'll be posting my thoughts on those races sometime next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment