22/06/2012

Royal Ascot Day4

Didn't Opinion Poll run a stormer yesterday? I was gutted he didn't win though. Like last year he was too far back as they entered the straight and he just got tired. He expended so much energy in making up ground that he had nothing left in the last few yards. The winner didn't rally, he just stayed on at the same pace. For me if Dettori had chosen my selection the result would have been different. A couple of times this season I've backed the best horse in a race and not collected (The Fugue is the Oaks was the other) but I do believe that luck evens itself out long term.

The most noteworthy performance of the day was Bronze Angel in the Britannia. Badly drawn and having to race on his own for the last furlong or so Hayley Turner brought him as close to the action as she could in the latter part of the race and he did well to finish third. He lost ground with this manoeuvre but still put a length between himself and the horses behind him as they closed on the line. I'll be backing this horse in his next handicap.

The ground has gone soft after more rain overnight and this morning and I've taken a position on Homecoming Queen in the Coronation Stakes. I'm still not 100% convinced she's the real deal as her Guineas victory did look too Frankel like to be true. But the ground was a lot firmer when she disappointed at the Curragh last time out and at 11/4 this morning she looks overpriced because of that poor run. The ground has come right for her and I expect she'll be very well backed on course and on the Exchanges. I rarely trade but I think there is scope here.

Coronation Stakes:
Homecoming Queen £70w @ 11/4 (Lay bid placed @ 7/4 for £20 IR Keep) (lost)


(-1224)

No comments:

Post a Comment