28/09/2012

Newmarket - 29th Sept

I've been banging on about Bronze Angel since the Royal Meeting in June and tomorrow is D day as he takes in the Cambridgeshire Handicap off bottom weight. I'm so pleased he gets in the race as he was balloted out of the Golden Mile at Goodwood at the beginning of August. I wasn't paying the Britannia Handicap that much attention but his run in that race really caught my eye. He was drawn 17 in the middle of the track and was clear of his opponents there when he was aimed towards the far side to take issue with the leading bunch. What I look for in a handicapper is fast finishing horses who ideally take the lead well inside the final furlong and win by around a length give or take. These animals almost never have their ratings adjusted too much and it pays to follow them. Now, although Bronze Angel didn't win that day at Ascot he really finished well and actually put over a length between himself and the animal in fourth inside the last 200 yards or so. He had to cover more ground in finishing where he did on the track (of the twenty nine runners he was the only one of the first seven home who was drawn higher than eight.) It really was a most taking effort and he has been number 1 on my list of horses to follow ever since.

The prices for the Cambridgeshire came out in August and I had a little bit on at 30 and 34 on Betfair. I didn't expect his odds to contract that much in the mean time as he was still an under the radar type of animal but unfortunately the Pricewise column in the Racing Post selected him as an ante-post selection for the race. This naturally resulted in his odds shortening somewhat but I still managed to get a little bit on each way at 20/1 with Ladbrokes. He's around a 12/1 shot now and I topped up earlier this week. The prices I took initially ensure I have the value about him. I will obviously beat the SP comfortably. Having not run since June he'll be a fresh horse for this which is a bonus and his trainer has booked William Buick for the ride. Another positive. I'm confident he's going to run really well. Any cut in the ground is OK as it was good to soft at Ascot.

Cambridgeshire:
Bronze Angel £60w @ 19/1 and £20ew @ 18/1 (won)


(+1061)



No comments:

Post a Comment