16/11/2012

Cheltenham - 17th Nov

On the face of it Fingal Bay's run in the Novice Chase that kicked off the Open meeting today wasn't that heartening for someone with an ante-post voucher about him for the RSA Chase at the Festival but I think some positives can be gleaned from it. They only went a moderate gallop and the horse didn't settle well as a result. You'd have to think a championship event with more runners would have a far stronger pace and of course the RSA is over a fair bit further that today's event. Fingal Bay looks a proper stayer on looks, he's a big horse with a huge backside and he has an engine in him. He just got out speeded today by a good horse. He jumped nicely throughout as well though, a big positive for a novice.

I'm excited about tomorrow's big race. It looks a very good renewal of the Paddy Power and I have already posted my thoughts on the race. I have topped up my bet on Al Ferof since my last post and I think he's been underrated for this race. The Supreme Novices he won at the Festival back in 2011 is a race I must have watched at least twenty times, mostly because of Sprinter Sacre it has to be said. Al Ferof stormed up the hill that day and it remains the best run of his career. He has taken to fences well in the main despite a couple of dodgy runs late last season but this race tomorrow will be his first start in a proper big field since that epic win. He's been crying out for a decent pace and a trip in excess of two miles for a long time and he remains very unexposed. Grands Crus will be incredibly tough to beat though and I have covered on that horse both in a double and in an outright bet as he has drifted slightly since my last post. A cracking contest is in store.

Paddy Power Gold Cup:
For Non Stop £20w @ 21/1 (NR)
Al Ferof £50w @ 94/10 (won)
Grands Crus £25w @ 26/10 and £10dbl with Finian's Rainbow (King George) @ 9/4 and 8/1 (lost)

(+534)


2 comments:

  1. Hello Nick,

    I really enjoyed your blog and unfortunately missed it the last few weeks. Congratulations and well done on your Al Ferof call, great research and an excellent result. Where will he go at the Festival?

    Keep up the good work,
    Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jonathan, appreciate the comment. I backed Al Ferof for the Gold Cup at long odds a few weeks ago so naturally I hope he goes there. His trainer has mentioned the Ryanair but he stayed so well on Saturday on really soft ground that I think he may go for the big one.

      Nick

      Delete