26/11/2012

Hennessy Gold Cup

After the Grand National this race is the biggest Handicap of the Jumps season and thanks to the immortal exploits of Denman I think it will always have a special place in the hearts of followers of the sport.

Favourite for this year's contest at present is RSA winner Bob's Worth. I have to say I'm not wholly convinced by this creature and think he is in a false position in the market for this race and the Gold Cup at Cheltenham. I backed First Lieutenant in that RSA and I feel if the gallop had been stronger he'd have won that race. He didn't settle that day and the energy lost by pulling for his head cost him at the business end of the race. First Lieutenant in theory re-opposes on Saturday but with all the rain around I'll be surprised if he comes over. Bob's Worth has high class form but he's one to oppose with a big weight on the probable soft ground he'll encounter on Saturday.

The Gigginstown Stud that own First Lieutenant also has Magnanimity in the race and I took prices in the win and place markets about him on Friday before he was pulled out of the Troytown race at the weekend. He's a decent soft ground horse who somewhat lost his way last season after a good campaign as a Novice and off 143 he looks well in and I thought at the start of the season he had a decent handicap in him. I might add another horse as we get closer to the race and the declarations are made.

Hennessy Gold Cup;
Magnanimity £10w @ 27/1 and £5pl @ 77/10

No comments:

Post a Comment