30/11/2012

Newbury - 1st Dec

Thank god for the Hennessy tomorrow. The graded hurdle races at Newbury and Newcastle have cut up to be most uncompetitive affairs and if it wasn't for the big handicap we'd be looking at a pretty sparse looking Saturday.

The big race itself I've already written about earlier in the week and although the ground wont be as soft as I thought it was going to be at that time I remain keen on Magnanimity who on top of having form on a decent surface now has a 5lb claimer on board further reducing the weight he'll carry. It really is a fearsomely competitive race and in looking through it yesterday I found myself making cases for both Nick Williams runners, First Lieutenant, Teaforthree and Frisco Depot. I can't bet all of them though so I've backed the latter mentioned Frisco Depot. He travelled like the best horse in the race at Ascot first time out in the United House Gold Cup before falling towards the end of the race and he also has very nice pieces of form in Ireland from last season. He finished just 5 lengths behind Flemenstar at Naas in March and it's that run more than anything else that points to him being well in tomorrow off 141. I'm a huge fan of Flemenstar and the selection must be considered a decent sort to get that close to him. He also has Sam Waley-Cohen on board, further reducing his weight and at 14 on Betfair I think he's very fairly priced.

Hennessy Gold Cup:
Magnanimity £35w @ 22/1 and £15pl @ 5/1
Frisco Depot £25w @ 13/1

No comments:

Post a Comment