03/04/2014

Aintree - 3rd April

For the first time in quite a few years I won't be attending any of the three days of the Aintree Festival this year, but I'm looking forward to the meeting nevertheless and I have a few bets lined up.

I was hoping Fox Norton would be a nice each way price in the opening Juvenile Hurdle and 8/1 will do. I'm not a mega each way punter by any means but I do fear both Calipto and Actival in this race.We can safely ignore Calipto's disappointing run in the Triumph as his jockey's stirrup snapped and before that both horses looked impressive in their run leading up to Cheltenham. Both Broughton and Royal Irish Hussar sort of let Fox Norton's form down a tad at the Festival but it's possible the former wasn't suited to the track being a pure flat bred horse and the latter doesn't strike me as very reliable. Guitar Pete, who runs tomorrow as well of course, also represents that same formline and he was placed in the Triumph. Ultimately though I believe Nick Williams has a cracking bunch of young hurdlers this season, of which Fox Norton and Le Rocher are the leading pair - and I'm happy to take 8/1, a price I think he will outrun on a track that should suit and on decent ground.

In my entry earlier in the week I mentioned that I seem to back First Lieutenant almost everytime he runs and that got me thinking - has there ever been a horse in my twenty five years of punting that I have backed more? So I did a bit of research and it turns out my bet on him in the Betfred Bowl is the ninth time I will have punted him. And the only other horses that come close are Denman, Lochsong and Desert Sun (a Henry Cecil colt who was winter favourite for the 1991 2000 Guineas). So I don't see the need to rehash all the old arguments with regard to the horse's optimum conditions and love for decent ground/this time of year. Suffice to say I'm happy with 7/2 although I do fear Dynaste.

The Manifesto Novices' Chase later on the card looks a weak Grade 1 and I think Fox Appeal is overpriced slightly at 10/1. He's a good jumper in the main who appreciates a decent surface and two and a half miles is his trip. His overall form gives him something to find but at the price I'm willing to bet his optimum conditions will see him outrun those odds. I liked his run last time out behind Balder Succes on ground that was softer than ideal for him and Oscar Whiskey and Western Warhorse both strike me as opposable. Oscar because I'm just not convinced about him over fences, Western Warhorse because he had a hard race at Cheltenham.

IJF Juvenile Hurdle:
Fox Norton £20ew @ 8/1 (lost)

Betfred Bowl:
First Lieutenant £40w @ 7/2 (lost)

Manifesto Novices' Chase:
Fox Appeal £30w @ 10/1 (lost)

(-996.25)


No comments:

Post a Comment