16/08/2014

Newbury and Ripon - 16th Aug

    Overall today's racing looks very trappy and I'm not overly keen on anything but for smallish stakes I'm taking a chance on Pether's Moon in the Geoffrey Freer at Newbury and one of my tracker horses, Duke Cosimo, who runs at Ripon.

    Pether's Moon ran better than the bare result suggested last time out at Goodwood and he's a quirky one whom first time blinkers might help today. He's far from nailed on but I think 6/1 is fair value given the opposition is stacked full of horses I want to be against. I backed Red Cadeaux in this last season and although he doesn't carry a beaucoup penalty this time around he's eight now and I don't like the look of his form this year - I think he might have had enough. He's less of a dodgepot than Seal of Approval though who was awful last time at Haydock. She is vastly overrated through her win in a very weak Group 1 for fillies at Ascot last Autumn. Somewhat has fewer negatives than those two animals and is feared but like I said, 6/1 about an in form animal like Pether's Moon in a weakish Group 3 like this is worth a go for smaller stakes

    Duke Cosimo has been a bit disappointing since he went into my tracker back in May (luckily I must have missed the email about his entry last time out at Haydock) but he looks well drawn today in the compensation race for the Great St Wilfrid's and has an each way chance.

Geoffrey Freer Stakes/William Hill Trophy Handicap:
Pether's Moon/Duke Cosimo £10ew dbl @ 6/1 and 11/1 (lost)

Geoffrey Freer Stakes:
Pether's Moon £20w @ 6/1

EDIT:
    As a postscript to today's bets, I must stop fecking about with doubles on days where I don't fancy anything enough for a proper wager. Duke Cosimo won today and my previous double this season in mid July on Triple Threat at Newbury and Bracelet in the Irish Oaks went similarly when the former was unplaced and the latter won at 10/1. In future reduced stakes singles will be the way to go.

(+1464.75)








No comments:

Post a Comment