26/08/2014

Ante-Post

    A poor week at York overall but I was pleased with Pallasator. I think his wide draw did for him ultimately in the Ebor and I still think there's a good race in him, maybe the November Handicap.

    On the ante-post front the next big race over here is the Sprint Cup at my local track and last year's winner returned from a two month break on Saturday when running well under a penalty in a Group 3 at the Curragh. I would expect there to be cut in the ground come race day and 10/1 about Gordon Lord Byron is a very nice price at this stage. This is even more the case considering the doubts about Slade Power's participation. If he fails to make the event I would expect GLB to start around 9/2.

    Over in Japan on Sunday Harp Star and Gold Ship fought out a thrilling finish to the Sapporo Kinen, a Group 2 over 10f. Gold Ship will be three pounds better off come Arc day in Longchamp come October and I think there is mileage in him at 20/1. He tends to get well behind in his races but I think connections wouldn't employ such tactics in a race like the Arc. My thoughts on the race in general are that Sea the Moon is very solid for it if a bit short at around 5/1. I can't have Treve and don't like Taghrooda or Australia either. Treve has had no sort of season at all, Taghrooda will have had the wrong prep for the race if she gets there and Australia's trainer always over races his 3yos and I personally don't think he'll ever win it with a horse of that age unless he managed to get one of a Sea the Stars kind of level.

    Finally I've taken a bit of 20/1 about the William Haggas trained Mange All for the Cambridgeshire. As a 3yo rated 92 there is a pretty good chance he won't get in the race but I'll take that chance at the odds. This horse was most impressive to my eyes when powering home under strong pressure in a good handicap at Ascot over a mile recently and being out of a Montjeu mare he should stay further, but on his last try over further he was way too free in front and got tired. The annual Cambridgeshire cavalry charge will be right up his street then and I note he is entered up at the weekend probably in an effort to get a penalty and more chance of a run at Headquarters. Fingers crossed he gets in as I believe he'd have a great chance.

Sprint Cup:
Gordon Lord Byron £15w @ 10/1

Cambridgeshire:
Mange All £15w @ 20/1

Arc:
Flintshire £10w @ 41/1
Gold Ship £10w @ 20/1

---
Arkle:
Josses Hill £35w @ 106/10

Gold Cup:
Champagne Fever £10w @ 20/1
Taquin Du Seuil £10w @ 26/1

No comments:

Post a Comment