22/08/2014

York - 23rd Aug

 

    Urgh, I shouldn't have opposed Sole Power today, it's something I've done a number of times over the last couple of years and he's burnt me nearly every time. I suppose the brevity of my post yesterday evening was almost an indication of what a bad idea it was.

    Saturday's action is all about Pallasator. I had him in mind for the Ebor after his very eye catching first run of the season in the Old Newton Cup last month. I backed him at 14/1 as soon as odds were released for the race and although his subsequent win later in July at Ascot wasn't ideal both for the weight he carries tomorrow and his price (which fell through the roof) it did indicate that he was a horse of some ability given the trip that day and size of the field were hardly ideal. I'm not bothered about the big weight he carries tomorrow as he is a very big, tall, strong horse who will carry it. In many ways he reminds me of Yavana's Pace, a very smart stayer who won the 1998 November Handicap off 105 on really soft ground. That horse was built on similar lines to Pallasator and I'm hoping for a similar result tomorrow.

    Having 14s ante-post (I've topped up a little this evening) about a 4/1 poke means I'm well ahead on the race and so I've had a cover bet on Mighty Yar who looks the main danger. He has nice course form, was beaten by a group horse last time out and should relish this step up in trip.

Ebor Handicap:
Pallasator £40w @ 91/10 (4th)
Might Yar £25w @ 9/1 (lost)
Havana Cooler/Josses Hill (Arkle) £10w dbl @ 10/1 and 10/1 (balloted out, bet now a single on Josses Hill)

(+1308.95)

No comments:

Post a Comment