29/10/2011

Ante-Post Update

Posting this a few hours after Time for Rupert's disappointing defeat in the Charlie Hall. I say disappointing but I mean for my bank balance rather than his Gold Cup prospects. Rupert looked burly today and got tired towards the end of the race which led to the odd mistake. That said he and Weird Al pulled well clear of Chicago Grey and I have topped up at Hills, who actually lengthened him to 16/1. 

During the last couple of days I have been studying for the first big race of the year, the Paddy Power Gold Cup at Cheltenham on 12th Nov. For these big handicaps I tend to favour classy top weights but Wishfull Thinking seems to have a lot on his plate considering his mark (164 - Denman won his first Hennessy off 161!) and the overall impression I get is that if Mon Parrain can transfer the effortless round of jumping he had at Aintree in April to Cheltenham he will not get beat. That isn't guaranteed of course and backing a horse for a big race there who hasn't run at the track before is naturally a risky proposition. He was so economical in the Topham though that I think it's worth the risk at his price.


Paddy Power:
Mon Parrain £50w @ 66/10

Betfair Chase:
Diamond Harry £10w @ 10/1
Kauto Star Laid @ 6/1 for £20

King George:
Captain Chris £18w @ 98/10

----------------
Arkle:
Sprinter Sacre £40w @ 11/1

RSA:
Hidden Cyclone £10w @ 29/1

Champion Chase:
Captain Chris £20w @ 12/1

Gold Cup:
Time for Rupert £50w @ 16/1

No comments:

Post a Comment