30/07/2012

Goodwood - 31st July

I'm thoroughly enjoying the Olympic Games but tomorrow Glorious Goodwood starts and so for a little while I'll be tearing myself away from all the strange sports I never usually watch.

One of the big angles I like to take advantage of when it comes to Flat racing is backing under appreciated foreign horses with underrated form who tend to go off at bigger odds than they should. I got a nice result when Giofra won the Falmouth at the start of the month but somehow neglected to back Arc winner Danedream when she won the King George a week or so ago. The German trained filly was freely available at 10/1 for the big race despite owning the single best piece of form in the field. Crazy. Ultimately I fancied Sea Moon so much for the race that when it came to covering I went with the biggest danger rather than the contender who was trading at the best odds from a value point of view.

The Gordon Stakes throws this angle up again tomorrow when the Peter Schiergen trained Deutsches Derby third Girolamo takes on six others in a decent renewal of the race. That race was run on good ground for a change so tomorrow's under foot conditions will not present a problem. The winner that day, Pastorius, franked the form in no uncertain terms when running away with an all aged event over 10f at Munich yesterday despite looking like a horse who didn't totally appreciate the soft ground. German horses are certainly becoming more of a threat in the big events away from their homeland in the last couple of years and my selection tomorrow doesn't seem to have a whole lot to beat. I think our 3yo colts are much of a muchness and whilst the Gosden trained colt Michelangelo has promise and is unexposed he really shouldn't be 6/4 for this. Frankel's half brother Noble Mission is also shorter than Girolamo in the betting but he was beaten by a horse who had been running in handicaps at the Royal meeting in the King Edward VII Stakes and I just don't rate him. I know I have the value in this race so let's just hope he comes home in front.

Gordon Stakes:
Girolamo £70w @ 53/10 (lost)


(-990)

No comments:

Post a Comment