22/08/2012

York - 23rd Aug

Frankel was amazing today. I was at York when Dayjur won the Nunthorpe in 1990, and I never thought I'd see another horse scorch up that straight like he did that day. It was a pleasure to behold. Even though I have a position on the race I would dearly love to see the great one go for the Arc in October. His trainer is no fan of the contest however so it probably won't happen.

Thursday's card has a couple of really interesting Group races for the fairer sex and I'll be hoping for a good run from Newfangled in the Lowther. I was happy to take 16/1 about her for next year's 1000 Guineas after her win at Royal Ascot and a similar result tomorrow would see her go quite short for next May's race.

My only bet of the day is on Shareta in the Group 1 Yorkshire Oaks. This French trained filly is a fast ground animal who loved the conditions she faced in last year's Arc where she was a fantastic runner-up despite being a pacemaker. That run was a big step up on all known form but it was the first time she'd had her ground in a big race. This year she's run twice and not won but under foot conditions were soft on both occasions. The good to firm ground will really suit her and at around 4.7 on Betfair I think she's a good value bet. I'm not in love with our 3yo fillies this year and I think 7/4 about The Fugue is poor. She won the Nassau Stakes nicely enough last time out but I thought it was an average renewal of the race and for me she's overrated. The fact remains that Shareta owns the single best piece of form on offer in the race and yet is nowhere near being the market leader.

EDIT: I've been at work since before five and have given the card a good going over and unearthed a bet in the handicap at at 3.05. Anderiego is a course and distance winner twice this year and each time he's taken the lead at around the furlong pole and won reasonably comfortably on both occasions. He looks like he could still be ahead of the handicapper although it is a tougher ask today. He's worth a bet at 10/1

Yorkshire Oaks:
Shareta £60w @ 37/10 (won)

Betfair, Don't settle for less Handicap:
Anderiego £40w @ 10/1 (lost)

(-1120)




No comments:

Post a Comment