15/02/2013

Ascot & Haydock 16th Feb

                                                                    CUE CARD
                                                                   

I've already posted my thoughts on tomorrow's big race at Ascot and the more I think about it the more I fancy Cue Card. I still feel he's underrated and is the only horse thus far to have gotten a shake of the reigns out of Barry Geraghty when he's up top on Sprinter Sacre over fences in last season's Arkle. In hindsight it's pretty amazing he actually finished the King George last time out on heavy ground given how fizzed up he was. He never really settled and like Flemenstar last week he's a horse who is better when being allowed to dictate. I expect him to win this and cement his place in the Ryanair. He's a good back to lay proposition as well and I've placed a request for part of my stake. Half my £80 stake has been placed at Hills via the Racing Post App which means I get it back if my selection is second. A good concession.

At Haydock we have the Grand National Trial which gave us the winner of the big race last year in runner-up Neptune Collonges. I'd like to think that may happen again as I've taken 20/1 about Teaforthree for the Aintree marathon. He stays all day and is a fantastic, economic jumper of a fence. He's perfect for the race imo and whilst I expect an encouraging run tomorrow I prefer Giles Cross for the Trial. This is much more his target than Teaforthrees. He won the race last year (off only six pounds less) and the Grand National isn't his bag. He didn't take that well to the test last year and of course it's nearly always run on unsuitably fast ground nowadays. Conditions at Haydock are perfect for him, his trainer has assured us that he's fighting fit and 9/1 is very fair. Finally, I have also backed Chicago Grey for Aintree. He was brought down last year before really getting into the race and his excellent young trainer has campaigned him perfect for the race. He'll run off a nice weight in April.
 


Ascot Chase:
Cue Card £80w @ 11/4 (IR lay request placed @ 6/4 for £20) (won)

Grand National Trial:
Giles Cross £35w @ £15pl @ 9/1 (pulled up)

(+1129.53)

-----
Grand National
Teaforthree £15w @ 20/1
Chicago Grey £10w @ 47/1




No comments:

Post a Comment