16/03/2013

Cheltenham Post-Mortem

Despite losing fairly big on the Festival I really enjoyed the whole week. Performances that stood out for me were the the front three in the Supreme, Sprinter Sacre, The New One, Cue Card and Our Conor.

Totally everything up I was actually £500 down before the meeting even began with a terrible ante-post winter. I went way over the top and I think the combination of my main two fancies for the week, Fingal Bay and Spirit Son, being out for the season by Christmas and the fairly steady stream of winners I had throughout the season were the main factors in this. I was using my winnings to fund speculative punts and it didn't work. This strategy also hamstrung me on the betting front during the season as my bankroll was tied up. I was backing mainly losers that actually did get to the Festival but I did get some returns and I have enough of a bankroll now to up the stakes for the flat season.

As for the action, the novice hurdlers in particular were a taking bunch and expect big things from Champagne Fever, Jezki, My Tent or Yours, The New One, Rule the World, At Fishers Cross and African Gold. Jezki is overpriced for next year's Champion Hurdle as he would have been closer without stumbling at the last and with a better prep (he didn't run after the new year). I've taken 20/1. I like African Gold as a chaser and also The New One from the same stable but I think the latter will stay hurdling.

The Novice Chasers looked average in comparison but Dynaste is surely better than he showed in the Jewson as his stable had nothing running well all week and of course Boston Bob is going the right way as well. He needs to improve his jumping but is in great hands and has scope to do so.

In the Championship events Hurricane Fly was flattered slightly by Rock on Ruby going way too fast up front and setting the race up for him and I might back Grandouet to beat him if they both run at Punchestown. By the time of the next Festival the dual winner will be 10 and I can't see him holding off Our Conor or Jezki if they get there. Sprinter Sacre was the best performer of the week and is the best jumps horse I've ever seen. I'm proud that I sort of recognised his potential during the Supreme in 2011 and backed him accordingly for the Arkle. The Gold Cup was a fantastic race and Bob's Worth is some stayer but I think he'd be worth taking on if he defends his title on good ground. He got outpaced at one point and I think on a decent surface he'd find it harder to peg a good one like Sir Des Champs back. I expect Al Ferof to make his mark in the race next season as well once he returns from injury. The Nicholls grey is slightly under the radar now and is a good price for the King George at 16/1. My ante-post list for the jumps next season won't be anywhere near as extensive as it has been this and moderation is key.

I'll be taking a break from punting now until the Grand National and then the flat season will kick into gear. Looking forward to it.

Ante-Post List:

Grand National:
Teaforthree £15w @ 20/1
Chicago Grey £10w @ 47/1

--
2000 Guineas:
Cristoforo Colombo £20w @ 24/1

1000 Guineas
Newfangled (NR) £15
What a Name £10w @ 14/1

--
King George:
Al Ferof £10w @ 16/1

Champion Hurdle:
Jezki £13w @ 20/1




No comments:

Post a Comment