22/03/2013

National Thoughts/AP Update

Teaforthree and Rebecca Curtis

A week after the Festival ended and I still proper have the post-Cheltenham blues. The Lincoln and Dubai World Cup meetings aren't my cup of tea and no betting is taking place so I've been studying the Grand National line-up in the hope of bolstering my position in the race. I kind of have a short list but one or two of them are very ground dependent and I'm dubious about at least one of them even turning up.

Now obviously the National isn't the sort of race to go into all guns blazing with a proper cut at one and so I do like to spread my stake on the race over at least four or five runners. Last year I punted six of the field and actually had the winner but unfortunately I only backed Neptune Collonges in the place market and so barely showed a profit on the race.

Amongst that half dozen in 2012 were Chicago Grey and Cappa Bleu and I'm going with both again. I have a very nice position on the former having backed him at 48 on the machine when the weights came out and the latter is a lot better off this time around with Sunnyhill Boy and Seabass and ran really well behind Vinny Griego at Ascot last month (form franked by that horse at Cheltenham). My only other bet at this stage is Teaforthree. I love this horse's jumping and I've had him on my mind as a National horse since he won the four miler at the Festival last season. His best form is on decent ground and yet he still ran a stormer in the Welsh National on heavy when only the genius of Paul Carberry denied him. He's seven pounds higher for that run now but (fingers crossed) better ground will nullify that hike in the weights. His moderate run at Haydock last time out can be forgiven as it was very much a prep race and he was in the main up against horses who's main objective that contest was rather than Liverpool in April.

Others I may go with are Imperial Commander, Roberto Goldback and Across the Bay but that will be decided nearer the day. I'm gagging for the former in particular to take part as he runs off 158 which underestimates the ability he retains. The handicap is very compressed this time around with only 10lb covering the first eighteen listed and Imperial Commander's class may tell at a nice price. He's also a big, gross steeplechaser (off hand the only one I can think of as big as him is maybe Time for Rupert) and will carry the weight. Let's hope his trainer confirms his entry.


Ante-Post List:

Grand National:
Teaforthree £20w @ 20/1
Chicago Grey £10w @ 47/1
Cappa Bleu £15w @ 15/1
Imperial Commander £10ew @ 28/1 NRNB
Roberto Goldback £7.50ew @ 33/1 NRNB
Prince De Beauchene (NR) £10
--
2000 Guineas:
Cristoforo Colombo £20w @ 24/1

1000 Guineas
Newfangled (NR) £15
What a Name £10w @ 14/1

--
King George:
Al Ferof £10w @ 16/1

Champion Hurdle:
Jezki £13w @ 20/1
My Tent or Yours £15w @ 10/1






No comments:

Post a Comment