18/06/2013

Royal Ascot - Day 2

So close with Toronado today. He was a bit unlucky with getting bumped just when Hughes was delivering his run but these things happen.

As impressive as Al Kazeem was last time out when accounting for Camelot in the Tattersalls Gold Cup at the Curragh I'm not sure Ascot with it's relatively short straight will suit him. Indeed, I'm hoping he struggles in the Prince of Wales and drifts for the Eclipse at a much more suitable venue. Camelot is much more of a turn of foot horse and I think he'll win tomorrow. I would like 3/1 but I don't think that's gonna happen with his stable having a good day today and so I'm trading in an attempt to get it. Of the others in the race I do think The Fugue has claims but the rather tame way Elusive Kate finished her race today makes me think the same thing might happen to her stable companion. Maxios is a solid enough horse but his overall form is a bit behind what's needed here. His level is similar to that of Reliable Man whom I backed in this race last year. But I had almost 16s on that horse so you can see why 6/1 about Maxios doesn't get the blood pumping. The others look outclassed and although Red Cadeaux is a smasher he should be in the Hardwicke over longer.

I love the Hunt Cup and have been lucky enough to have the winner a few times including last year when Prince of Johanne was pretty much a last minute bet. He's off the same mark again, ran in the same prep race at York (in the frame on both occasions) and is worth a go at around 14/1.

I can't remember the last time I had a bet in the Jersey stakes but there are a quartet of French runners in this and exhaustive use of my Equidia subscription has left me interested enough in the unbeaten Mutin and his stablemate The Brother War to back them both. The former has won twice at Saint-Cloud this season and was most impressive in his debut win and even though more workmanlike last time out that was a race run on heavy ground with a gentle pace and he didn't settle well early on. With an American sire I expect decent ground will suit as will a faster pace. The Brothers War I'm not as confident about but he does have form with the Poulains winner (as does Complimentor who also takes part) but Jean-Claude Rouget is a trainer I've done well with in the past and they both seem overpriced.

Additional 19/6:
I expected Camelot to be well backed and shorten in the market this morning but that has not happened and he is available at 7/2 with Hills. I have topped up.

Jersey Stakes:
Mutin £45w @ 86/10 (lost)
The Brothers War £15ew @ 16/1 (lost)

Prince of Wales's Stakes:
Camelot £100w @ 294/100 (IR lay placed @ 2/1 for £30) (lost)

Hunt Cup:
Prince of Johanne £30ew @ 14/1 (lost)

(-429)



No comments:

Post a Comment