11/06/2013

Royal Ascot Thoughts





Just a week until the Royal meeting starts and it looks a cracking few days of racing ahead but it will be overshadowed by the death of Henry Cecil earlier today. He's been one of the greatest trainers in history and although the bad news today doesn't come as a great surprise I'm sure all fans of the sport are united in their sorrow upon his death. Frankel's enormous presence the last couple of years at least made his final years happy ones but my favourite Cecil horse was Bosra Sham, a top class filly in the mid 90s who won at the Royal meeting in 1997 in very impressive fashion. RIP Sir Henry.

I've already blogged about some of the bets I have lined up for the week and all the horses I've backed have shortened since my initial wagers have been placed mainly due to defections and injuries to other contenders.

Elsewhere, in the St James Palace on the opening day I think the price differential between Magician and Toronado is a bit too much. The former is evens and the latter 11/4. I'd be going more 6/4 and 9/4 so there could be an angle there on the day. I'm against Al Kazeem in the Prince of Wales because I don't think the short straight will suit him but I have yet to unearth an alternative selection. I'll just be happy enough for his price to drift for the Eclipse at Sandown if he is defeated a week tomorrow. And finally in the Coronation I've fervently hoping crack French filly Flotilla takes her chance here rather than the Prix de Diane at Chantilly. She was most impressive in the Pouliches when pulling clear of the field together with Esoterique (form that has been franked since) and I'm gagging to take the British fillies on with her.

EDIT 12/6:
Dawn Approach has somewhat surprisingly been confirmed as on target to run in the St James's Palace and this has shaken up the ante-post market in a massive way as you can imagine and as a consequence Toronado is very backable now at 5/1. He's a horse that is bred to stay more than a mile and the fast pace they went in the Guineas took him out of his comfort zone and he finished a very tired horse. Around a turn with a slower pace and fewer runners I expect a return to form and I'd be very surprised if he's not in the first three. It's a cliche but at that price he's an each way bet to nothing.

Queen Anne Stakes:
Elusive Kate £15ew @ 20/1

St James's Palace Stakes:
Toronado £20ew @ 5/1

King's Stand Stakes:
Reckless Abandon £25w @ 10/1  

Diamond Jubilee Stakes:
Gordon Lord Byron £15ew @ 16/1

No comments:

Post a Comment