20/06/2013

Royal Ascot - Day 4

Another near miss with Shikapour running really well today after being given too much to do. It's at times like these that I get a bit down with the grind of it all. Some selections running no sort of race and others finishing fast for second place.

Friday has the worst card of the week and my only bet runs in the very last race, a 7f handicap. Enrol heads the market at around 6/1 after a fast finishing second (my sort of horse) in a Newmarket handicap over 6f a few weeks ago. But the horse just in behind him re-opposes after running a similar race to the runner-up. The animal in question, the Marco Botti trained Mezzotint, seemed to relish the uphill finish that day on the July course on really fast ground and it makes no sense that he is 25/1 for this contest tomorrow. He's two pounds better off for 3/4 of a length beating by Enrol as well. Naturally it's an ultra competitive race and one or two layers are paying five places.

EDIT 21/6:
I shouldn't blog immediately after a poor day's betting. I've been at work all day and have been watching the action upon my return each night. This entry last night was ultra negative but I do feel more positive now.

Anyway, I've looked at more of the form for today's action and Big Break has been backed at a little over 6/1. I bet her in the Irish 1000 Guineas late last month and whilst she ran well she's was poorly drawn that day and may have been feeling the ground which was good/firm. Today she is well drawn, they have watered at the track and it is raining lightly this morning, and her two main opponents, Just the Judge and Sky Lantern, are drawn widest of all in 16 and 17. It's a bigger than normal field and initially that put me off having a go but everything seems right for Weld's filly today and the last thing I need is to see something win that I was on in their previous race. I think the draw/ground/progression from her first run are enough of an angle(s) to justify a wager in any event.

Coronation Stakes:
Big Break £50w @ 64/10 (lost)

Buckingham Palace Stakes:
Mezzotint £25ew @ 25/1 (5pl) (lost)

(-586)



No comments:

Post a Comment