21/06/2013

Royal Ascot - Day 5

Right, one day left to bag a winner. It's been a terrible meeting for me but I'm plugging on and I have a couple for Saturday.

I keep beating the SP's with my bets and I have 16/1 about Gordon Lord Byron for the Diamond Jubilee. I think he's a cracking sprinter who has strong claims in a tough event. Favourite Society Rock has a couple of decisions over him but last time out at York the selection was drawn away from the action and whilst he'll need luck to beat that animal he's a fair price.

In the Hardwicke I expected Ektihaam to be around 2/1 maybe 15/8 after his impressive course and distance win a month ago. He comes from a poor 3yo crop but that race was his first attempt at 12f and he looks a horse with a future. He's around 11/4 now but I took 100/30 for £20 when the layers opened their books. I did that in the hope that 7/2 would later be available for a top up but that hasn't happened. I want more on but will wait and see how the market goes early tomorrow. He might be worth a trade being a bit of a front runner. His main rival would appear to be Mount Athos and whilst he's a classy individual he surely needs further than 12f to be seen at his best. Impressive at Chester last time out he beat pretty much nothing there. I'd be disappointed if he beats my choice for the race. I've reproduced my bet below as I don't want to seem an after-timer.

More to follow tomorrow.


Edit:
Well, I awake to find a few layers wanting to take Ektihaam on and 7/2 is freely available in two or three places. Readily taken with pleasure.
I have also topped up on Gordon Lord Byron.

Hardwicke Stakes:
Ektihaam £20w @ 100/30 and £40w @ 7/2 (ur) (£40 bet refunded from Paddy Power)

Diamond Jubilee Stakes:
Gordon Lord Byron £15ew @ 16/1 and £25w @ 84/10 (4th)

(-661)



No comments:

Post a Comment