21/08/2013

York - 21st Aug

I didn't think I'd be betting today as I thought Al Kazeem and Toronado were priced up about right at around evs/3s respectively when it was confirmed the latter would be taking part in the Juddmonte.
However the money has kept coming in the Hannon inmate and Ladbrokes this morning were going 13/8 the pair. I'm surprised but happy to take that price on Al Kazeem.

The International is a race with a history choc full of middle distance winners and I tend to favour the animals with proven stamina when tackling it. It's also a negative that Toronado is coming here as somewhat of an afterthought. If Olympic Glory hadn't run so well in the Marois it wouldn't be happening, they want to keep both horses apart from now on it seems. You could pick holes in Al Kazeem's form but he has looked a tough, resilient animal each time he's run and surely will beat this field today.

I'm not in love with having my normal stake on shorties so I've split my bet into a single and a couple of doubles with a couple of selections in the Voltigeur, the Group 2 over 12f that precedes the big race. Telescope seems awfully short for this contest for all he still looks a horse of some promise. The same connections couldn't win this with Harbinger a few years back and he's worth taking on. I've gone with Willie the Whipper who finished a good sixth (albeit slightly flattered coming from the back in a strongly run race) in the Prix Du Jockey Club and Secret Number who found all sorts of trouble in running in the Gordon Stakes at Goodwood but who looks a creature who will really appreciate the long flat straight he gets here.

International Stakes:
Al Kazeem £40w @ 13/8 (lost)

Voltigeur:
Willie the Whipper/Al Kazeem £10dbl @ 12/1 and 6/4
Secret Number/Al Kazeem £10dbl @ 5/1 and 6/4

(-293)


No comments:

Post a Comment