01/08/2013

Goodwood - 2nd Aug

Yesterday's big race was flat racing at it's very best. Two top class 3yo's battling it out on a fantastic track. I was delighted to see Toronado finally get a much deserved Group 1 and I only hope that they both meet up with Intello at some point.

I didn't think I'd be betting today but Mount Athos seems a little bit too big at 7/2 for the Goodwood Cup. I'm not normally much of a favourite backer but I reckon he's a cut above the field he faces here. His SP in the Hardwicke where he was ridden too far back was 11/4 over a trip short of his best on a course with a short straight against better opponents. Today he mainly faces animals who represent the Ascot Gold Cup form and I'm of the opinion that that was a poor renewal. Second favourite Caucus looks a taking sort and his second behind Gold Cup winner Estimate in the Sagaro in May reads well enough in theory with Estimate obviously going on since but the third that day has been well beaten in handicaps since and I just think the stayers division is poor and I like that Mount Athos brings different form to the table. I can't imagine any of today's field finishing as well as the selection did in last year's Melbourne Cup and the only worry for me is Spencer gives him too much to do.
                                                               2012 Melbourne Cup


Tomorrow's bet Cape Peron in the Betfred Mile has been well drawn in 5 and I have topped up my bet. I don't think anymore rain is forecast but the ground will surely be no worse than good for him. He must have a big chance.



Goodwood Cup:
Mount Athos £60w @ 7/2 (Spencered)

(-118)

--
Betfred Mile:
Cape Peron £50w @ 10/1
Cape Peron and Sky Hunter(Arc) £10dbl @ 12/1 and 33/1

No comments:

Post a Comment