31/07/2013

Goodwood - 31st July

Yesterday I mentioned that I'd backed Toronado for the Sussex Stakes not long after his rather luckless defeat at Royal Ascot but that his price had gone since then and I was left with a rather measly £12 on at 7/2. Well, he's drifted to 9/4 this morning so I have been topping up. His rivalry with Dawn Approach does remind one of the battles Henrythenavigator and Raven's Pass had in the same races a few years back and there was a perception then as well that the latter horse would never get his head in front. That was erroneous. I still hold the opinion that Toronado was the better animal in the St James's and the price differential this morning is too great.

I also stated that I was keen on Declaration of War for the race and that is still the case although Toronado's drift has swayed me a bit. I see the O'Brien horse as more a secondary selection now but I have taken 11/2. He's in the same ballpark formwise as the two principals and is a touch of value although I do think the WFA scale favours 3yo's over a mile at this time of the year. They get 8lbs and that's a couple too generous in my opinion. His Queen Anne form is red hot.

Sussex Stakes:
Toronado £40w @ 26/10 (won)
Declaration of War £40w @ 11/2 (lost)

(-58)

No comments:

Post a Comment