30/07/2013

Goodwood - 30th July

Pleased to see the rain arrive at Goodwood as it favours two or maybe even three of the horses uppermost in my mind for this Glorious Festival.

I backed the John Gosden trained Nabucco for the John Smith's on the strength of his hard fought win in a Newmarket handicap on Irish Derby day only to see him not declared at the 48hr stage. I presume that may have been due to the fast ground. He only set a modest pace that day and on paper looked a bit flattered by the result, but I have a hunch this colt will be better served setting a better tempo and on this track (one that is better suited to front runners than the straight July course) I expect him to do just that. He's second top weight but again, this track is a good one for carrying welter burdens and everything seems primed for a good effort today. The wide draw is a negative I'll admit but it isn't death like it will be for anything highly drawn in the Betfred Mile on Friday as a jockey has that little bit longer to sort their mounts out.

Nabucco is my only bet of the day but I'm already involved ante-post on the aforementioned big handicap on Friday and the Sussex Stakes tomorrow. I backed Toronado for small money not long after his unlucky defeat in the St James's Palace but the price has gone and I'm more keen on Declaration of War now. The hype merchants have been on overdrive in billing this contest as pretty much just a duel between the Hannon 3yo and Dawn Approach. On a line of form via Mars I think DoW has a chance of getting involved at the business end of the race and I'm hoping that 6/1 is available in the morning.

Cape Peron might finally get his ground on Friday if we get anymore rain and I've added an ante-post single to the double I already have him in for the Betfred Mile.

Bet365.com Handicap:
Nabucco £30w @ 88/10 and £15pl @ 18/10 (2nd)

(-122)

--
Sussex Stakes:
Toronado £12w @ 7/2

Betfred Mile:
Cape Peron £25w @ 12/1
Cape Peron and Sky Hunter(Arc) £10dbl @ 12/1 and 33/1



No comments:

Post a Comment