13/07/2013

Newmarket and Longchamp - 14th July

I was a bit fortunate to collect yesterday with Elusive Kate carrying Sky Lantern across most of the July course but I believe the best filly won on the day. Another Brucie bonus was the 9/4 I took at Hills being paid at 3/1.

Despite the cluttered theme of today's action with good cards at Ascot, Newmarket and York I can't find a bet in England now my two selections for the John Smith's aren't involved. I was tempted by Shea Shea in the July Cup but 4/1 in a very competitive race is a bit tight so I'm leaving it.

My one bet then is at Longchamp where the exciting Flintshire takes on Derby also rans Ocovango and Battle of Marengo in the Grand Prix de Paris. I took 7/2 when a relatively new firm called Racebets opened a market on the race (the first layers to do so) but it turns out they were way out of line with those odds as he's around 7/4 now. I should have had more than a pony on but I was confident similar odds would be available today. I've topped up slightly at that 7/4 but in all honesty that isn't a great price and I certainly wouldn't be involved without my ante-post position. I'm not convinced Battle of Marengo or Ocovango properly stay 12f, the former worn down at Ascot in a Group 3 by a horse who had previously been running in handicaps and the latter not finishing his race that well at Epsom. Flintshire however has bags of scope at this trip and I expect him to put a big marker down for the Arc in a few months.

John Smith's Cup:
Lahaag (NR) £20
Nabucco (NR) £45

Grand Prix de Paris:
Flintshire £40w @ 3/1 (won)

(-316)




No comments:

Post a Comment